Club History

  • Northwich Rowing Club was founded in 1875 in the Crown and Anchor Hotel, Northwich (now Lloyds Bank)

  • The boathouse was built in Lock Street, on the Winnington Bank (opposite the rear of what is now McDonalds)

  • The first regatta was held on Witton Brook in 1880 with just two events which were confined to members.

  • In 1890 the regatta moved to Riverside.

  • 1900 saw the first regatta win for the club at Chester in the Maiden coxed fours (now referred to as ‘novice’)

  • The club relocated from Lock Street to the Riversdale Estate in 1907. The new building incorporated a boathouse with changing facilities and a committee room.  

  • The first senior (now ‘elite’) win was at Agecroft Regatta which was the first ‘open’ regatta held in 1909 and the first Whit Monday Regatta in 1912.

  • In 1917/18 ‘lady subscribers’ were admitted to the club. Women were not allowed to become full rowing members of the club until 1975.

  • NRC experienced mixed fortunes in the 1920s and 30s with membership dwindling to just 16 people in 1935, the club’s diamond jubilee year.

  • Revival followed the WWII and the club prospered socially, financially and competitively during the next two decades.

  • A new clubhouse was built adjacent to the existing boathouse in the early 1960s.

  • The first Head of the River race was held in 1959 and there were 17 entries. NRC now attracts a huge entry for their spring and autumn heads.

 

In more recent times…

  • The first female athlete to represent Great Britain in a 1x at the Junior World Championships was NRC athlete Adrienne Grimsditch. There is now a long history is junior success from the club at international level.

  • The club became part of the Project Oarsome Scheme in 1996 which saw the beginning of a significant growth in junior membership and parent volunteers.

  • The foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 forced the regatta to move from the established location on the ‘meadows’ down to the lower stretch of the river.

  • 2001 saw the club welcome home Matthew Langridge from the Junior World Championships as the first ever GB athlete to win gold in the 1x

  • 1998 saw Joyce Hooper become the first female club Chairman.

  • Matthew Langridge was the first ever Olympian from the club in 2004 (Athens) and went on to three further Olympics where he won Silver (Beijing), Bronze (London) and Gold (Rio)

  • The town granted Matthew Langridge freedom of the town as part of an open top bus parade and homecoming following his gold medal in Rio.

  • 2006 saw the introduction of the club Adult Learn to Row programme.

  • 2009 saw Clare Briegal become the first female captain for the club

  • In 2017 the club ran their regatta close to the original site of their first boathouse and as part of the Northwich River Festival. 

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White Twitter Icon